Drywood termites are a huge nightmare for every homeowner and it’s for a good reason. Termites are the most destructive creatures in the world. They destroy homes and properties. They do more damage compared to any natural disaster. According to EPA.gov, termites cause billions of dollars in damages and owners spend more than two billion just to treat them. Now, that it is drywood termite season here in California, it’s even more important to protect your home and properties from this menace.
Drywood termites devour drywood. They are as small as ants, with wider waists and straight antennae. Their swarmers fly in huge groups and would for sites where they can start a new colony. It happens that your home happens to be a prime candidate. Good thing, we have a few tips here that you can follow to protect your home from drywood termites.
• Seal your home. Make sure there are no cracks or crevices where drywood termites can enter your home.
• Seal or paint over any exposed wood.
• Keep stored firewood, wooden scraps, or any wooden material away from your home.
• Remove any dead trees from your yard.
• Be sure to treat wood, especially when tackling a new construction project.
• Cover vents with screens to prevent drywood termite swarmers from gaining entrance to your home.
• Install a bug zapper outside your home. Termite swarmers are also attracted to light and are more likely to approach a bug zapper than your home.
Having knowledge about drywood termites and knowing these tips may indeed help bar these pests from your home. However, this is not always enough. In order for your home to have complete protection against drywood termites, you will need to put up a protective barrier placed around it. Only a licensed, registered, and professional termite and pest control company can provide a proper treatment that will protect your home against drywood termites for a long time.
Finally, if you suspect drywood termites or want to ensure protection against them or any other pests, you should contact us today!